I was reading my dailiy humor news from fark.com and I came across this article about how much people really pass gas. And I quote, “According to the National Institutes of Health, the average person passes intestinal gas from 14 to 23 times a day and produces about 1 to 3 pints of the stuff.” Dang, we pass gas a lot during the day. Now, this goes for the dudes as well as the laides. So, ladies, don’t be shy if you pass gas during the day. The study says you should at least 14 times. Now, what causes you to pass gas? Well, here are some food items that would do it to you:
- Vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions, artichokes, and asparagus
- Fruits such as apples, pears, and peaches
- Whole grains, such as whole wheat and bran
- Sodas and fruit drinks
- Foods with sorbitol, often used as a sweetener in sugar-free gums and candies
So, if you are into things like the above, you might pass gas more than most of us. But, who am I to guess. If you are really embasrassed that you pass gas during the day it is reccommended that you do the following if you want to reduce your gas you could try the following:
- Avoiding anything that might increase your chances of swallowing air, such as smoking, drinking through straws, and eating too quickly
- Avoiding or cutting down on problematic foods, such as carbonated drinks, beans, and some raw vegetables
- Considering a food diary. If you can’t figure out what may be causing your increased gas, try keeping a journal of what you eat. You may find one or two foods that seem to increase your symptoms.
There you have it, the real scientific crap on passing gas. Now, go feel specialand don’t be around me when you pass gas, because if you are, I might just fight back.